We’re coming in with another tasty summer burger recipe! A savoury grilled chicken burger that can be made for several people. This recipe is for our garlic lovers as we toss the chicken breasts in garlic powder, as well as topping our bun off with some pesto mayo. These delicious spices are sure to freshen up your summer burger. When it comes to cooking your chicken – it’s up to you whether you’d like to BBQ or grill on a pan, either way, this burger will be delicious!
This recipe will yield 4 savoury chicken burgers.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tomato (on the vine is preferable as they can be easily sliced – 2 slices per burger)
- Iceberg lettuce (2-3 leaves per burger)
- 30g or 3 thin slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns
For the pesto mayo:
- ½ cup of mayo (vegan or ½ fat options – whichever you prefer)
- 1 tbsp of pesto
- Begin by slicing your chicken breasts horizontally so you will have 4 thinner slices of chicken breasts.
- Season your chicken with the garlic powder and salt.
- Heat your pan, or BBQ, to a low-medium heat. If using a pan, add your olive oil.
- Once your cooking surface is heated, lay your chicken breasts down. Cooking time will vary depending on the cooking surface. If using a pan, cook for approximately 15 minutes on medium heat, flipping every 5 minutes. If using a BBQ, cook on a lower temperature, flipping every 4-6 minutes, cook until the edges are crispy.
- While your chicken is cooking, please begin chopping your vegetables.
- Next, you can prepare your pesto mayo by simply mixing the mayo and pesto together in a small dish.
- Once your chicken is almost done, lay your cheese on each chicken breast while the chicken is still cooking. This will melt the cheese onto the chicken making it a delicious combination on your burger.
- If you so desire, this would be the time to toast your hamburger buns!
- Once your chicken is cooked, you can add your pesto mayo to each side of the bun, followed by adding your vegetables, and lastly, add your chicken to the bun.
This chicken burger is savoury and juicy and pairs well with fresh cut sweet potato fries, which are delicious in an air fryer. This burger also pairs well with a fresh vegetable garden salad, with a raspberry vinaigrette to contrast the flavours! Please let us know if you’ve tried this recipe. What would you pair with this burger?
Written by: Meredith Hay
Reviewed by: Atheana Brown RD