These savoury black bean and mushroom burgers with creamy sriracha mayo are sure to impress!
Welcome back to round 2 of our burger series! Today we are featuring homemade black bean mushroom burgers with sriracha mayo that are packed with protein, flavour, and can be made vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian friendly! I love mixing up the burger menu with plant based patties but they can sometimes be a hassle requiring extra tools. No food processor? No problem! Just make sure you have your muscles ready for mashing! Now, let’s get to making.
This recipe makes 4 satisfying patties!
For the burgers:
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely chopped (about 1/2 of 227g package)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can black beans, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
1 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp barbecue sauce
1/3 cup unseasoned bread crumbs (gluten-free or regular)
Hamburger buns (gluten-free or regular)
Optional toppings: Lettuce, tomato, red onions, condiments, vegan or regular cheddar cheese
For the Sriracha Mayo:
1/4 cup mayonnaise (vegan or regular)
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp Sriracha sauce, to taste
1 tsp lime juice, to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add add the finely chopped mushrooms and garlic, stirring occasionally and cooking until golden brown. Stir in the cumin, chilli powder, paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, place the rinsed and dried black beans and lightly mash with potato masher (workout time!). Mixture should be thick and not completely smooth. Add the mushroom mixture, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and breadcrumbs. Stir to combine and adjust breadcrumb ratio until the mixture hold together. Check the flavour of the mixture and add more seasonings to your liking.
- Divide the mixture into 4 patties and for better held burgers, place on a lined plate and freeze for 20 minutes.
- While waiting, prepare the sriracha mayo. In a small bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, sriracha, lime juice, and garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Once heated, cook the patties until heated through and golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. If topping with cheddar, put slices on top and cover the pan until melted. Remove patties and repeat with the other 2 patties with the other 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Serve patties on buns, top with a dollop of sriracha mayo, and enjoy while hot! Use other condiments including lettuce, tomato, onions, etcetera as desired.
Did you give these plant-based burgers a try? Let me know in the comments below what you think! This sriracha mayo is one of my favourite easy sauces to whip up and is especially AMAZING on fish tacos too. I hope you enjoy these tasty burgers and will see you soon for the last recipe in our burger round up.
Written by: Rachel Davidson-Evans, BASc
Reviewed by: Atheana Brown RD
leave a comment