This hearty homemade chicken noodle soup is sure to bring comfort and warmth. Perfect for sick days and chilly winter nights. Just like grandma used to make! Not only is this recipe delicious but it is quick, easy, and helps use up that extra chicken in the fridge- bonus!
Note: I used leftover cooked chicken breast for this recipe, however, you can make use of rotisserie chicken or raw chicken breasts and thighs as well! For raw chicken, add 20 minutes of cook time to allow it to fully cook through in the broth. Instruction details down below.
This homemade chicken noodle soup makes around 4 servings in a total time of about 30 minutes. Yay!
- 4 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Diced Onion (about 1 large)
- 1 Cup Celery (2 stalks)
- 1 Cup Sliced Carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried Basil
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 1/2 Cups Egg Noodles (or any medium sized noodles
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken (cubed or shredded)
- In a large pot or saucepan, add broth, onion, celery, carrots, oregano, basil, black pepper, and bay leaf. Combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- *FOR RAW CHICKEN ONLY: After step 1, submerge the raw chicken into the soup, ensuring the broth covers the pieces completely. Partially cover the pot with a lid and cook about 20 minutes until chicken thighs are cooked through. Once cooked, remove and place on a plate.
- Stir in noodles and return soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 8-10 minutes until noodles are tender but remain firm. If you used raw chicken, shred or cut the cooked chicken into cubes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in chicken and heat through. Enjoy!
Happy soup-ing friends! Let me know if you try out this recipe and tell me what you think in the comments below! For storage, this soup can be refrigerated for 3-4 days and frozen for up to 3 months. Do not be alarmed if your soup appears to be more of a stew after refrigeration- simply add some more broth before reheating. See you next time with another delicious soup!