This delicious creamy carrot ginger soup will add colour to any meal. Highlighting flavours of ginger, caramelized onions, and carrot, this magical combination is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
This colourful recipe makes about 6 servings of this luscious soup! Note: you will need a blender, handheld blender, or food processor for this recipe. This carrot ginger soup is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian and vegan * with broth modification.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5 Cups Onions (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Tbsp White Sugar
- Dash Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (Grated)
- 1/2 Sweet Potato (1 Inch Pieces)
- 4 Medium Carrots (1 Inch Pieces)
- 3 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Light Cream or Half-and-Half
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, sugar, black pepper and combine. Reduce heat and simmer, lid on, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add grated ginger and cook uncovered for about 8 minutes until onions are golden brown. Once cooked, set aside 1/2 of the mixture on a plate.
- In a large pot or saucepan, combine broth, sweet potato, and carrots, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Let cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth according to your blender’s instructions for hot liquids.
- Return soup to the pot, add cream, and heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve and top with caramelized onion mixture. Enjoy!
Bon Appetit! I hope you love the flavours of this sweet, luscious, colourful soup like I do. Let me know in the comments if you gave it a try and what memories soup brings back for you! Until next time!