This creamy asparagus parmesan risotto is sure to impress. Made with a classic comforting blend of arborio rice, stock, parmesan, fresh asparagus, peas, and spinach.
Asparagus season has arrived in Ontario, so we made it the star in this classic risotto dish! These warmer temperatures make me so excited for farmers markets and local produce. There is something so exciting about supporting local farms and those fresh flavours just can not be beat! This asparagus parmesan risotto is a fan favourite even with those typically not keen on asparagus- and that says a lot. Great as a vegetarian dish on its own or as a side dish served with mains like white fish, chicken or sausage. So grab your fresh asparagus and get cooking, we have a asparagus parmesan risotto to make!
This recipe makes approximately 6-8 servings and takes 40 minutes.
1/2 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 tsp olive oil or butter
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine (or broth if necessary)
1 1/2 cup arborio rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups spinach
1 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp lemon juice (and wedges to taste)
- Prepare asparagus and slice into 1 inch pieces. Tip: to trim asparagus and remove tough woody ends, hold both ends of the spear and bend until it snaps. Scrap stems can be saved for stock making! In a medium saucepan over high heat, steam asparagus over about 1 inch of water using a steamer basket. Once boiling, cover and steam for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat chicken broth in a small saucepan, reduce heat to low and keep warm. In a large frying pan, add butter or olive oil and sauté onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir to combine.
- To the frying pan, add arborio rice and stir for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the white wine or substitute with stock if needed. Cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Add warm broth 1/2 cup at a time and stir frequently until fully absorbed. Ensure all broth has been absorbed between new additions and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from heat and add the spinach, peas, fresh parmesan, and lemon juice until combined. Serve immediately with optional lemon slices to taste.
Dig in! I hope you give this creamy asparagus parmesan risotto a try. Let me know in the comments what seasonal produce you are most excited for! And as always, let me know what you thought about this dish in the comments below. See you next time and happy cooking!